Saturday, July 19, 2008

Home Town

I'm watching Anthony Bourdain in South Carolina and it is making me hungry. He's done an oyster roast and biscuits and gravy, even boiled peanuts. The only offense is that he goes to a place that serves mustard barbecue, nooooo! I love mustard more than anyone I know, but mustard sauce on barbeque can most accurately be described as an abomination. At least they take the time to point out that South Carolina has four different types of sauce that are traditional.

He touches on the best reason I have heard to dislike Rachel Ray. In her $40 a day show, the woman tips 10%. WTF! I firmly believe that people who tip 10% shouldn't be allowed to eat in restaurants.

Bourdain also spends time talking about different pickles, though dilly beans are not mentioned, and he talks quite a bit about how similar the traditional food in SC is to the cusine he has found in West Africa. The show starts out with a similar sentiment to what I had going back to Roan Mountain, which is that there are parts of my own country that are stranger to me than Singapore. I have a feeling Bourdain has spent quite a bit more time in Singapore than I have, but the feeling is the same.

Update: Ohhh, she-crab soup and a low country boil. I'm so hungry.

No comments: