Monday, October 17, 2005

Sir_Mix-A-Lot == GENIUS

Well, my last mp3 post appears to have gone over like the proverbial lead balloon, but I don’t discourage (quite) that easily. I may have been the only kid on the block whose bike had training wheels when he was twelve, but the important thing is that I learned to ride.

To move on, I have long held that the success and frequency with which an artist’s songs are covered represent a valuable metric for determining that artist’s overall impact and (perhaps) talent. For example, when even Limp Bizket failed to completely excise all charm from George Michael’s “Faith” I gained a fair amount of respect for Mr. Michael, whose post WHAM! output I had always thought to be sub-standard. And as Rachel is surely thinking RIGHT NOW, Leonard Cohen is among the most covered of all artists. Let me then introduce you to the greatest cover I’ve heard in (at least) the past week -- a guy I’ve never heard of covering the immortal, “Baby Got Back.”

6 comments:

magnoliasitter said...

I was indeed, I guess I'm getting too predictable. And I'm not at all surprised about Baby Got Back, but I am scared about what that measurement means for Hit Me Baby One More Time. It seems to be covered quite frequently and I'm going to have to swallow sooooo much pride before I ever admit it is a good song.

magnoliasitter said...

Oh my God...I just actually got the song. It's hilarious. Where did you find it?

Anonymous said...

While the contributors might be a bit tech heavy, I think it would be more proper for you to write as follows.

Sir Mix-A-Lot = genius or Six Mix-A-Lot is a genius

For starters, the "average" reader does not care whether you use one equal sign or two. Second, the use of a single equal sign would be more appropriate, as you're assigning the label of genius to Sir Mix-A-Lot. Using a boolean expression in the subject line, I would say, more implies that you're posing a question. As Mr. Period would tell you in the English language we have a symbol for that, which is the question mark ('?').

While you did find an enjoyable cover of "Baby Got Back", I will not be swayed until you find a speed metal cover of said song.

magnoliasitter said...

Man, what is this with you and metal...has your wife finally rubbed off on you?

MuggleMarc said...

I don't think Sir Elevant was so much posing a question as formulating a TRUE expression, in which case the use of the boolean operator seems perfectly justified. And in any case, if you wanted to be really picky about semanatics, I would suggest the following to denote assignment:

Sir_Mix_A_Lot := genius.

marc

PS: rachel said rub off. hehe.

magnoliasitter said...

Trust Mr. Potter to make that joke.