Monday, May 26, 2008

They say my field is dying

The Boston Globe is crying about the state of literary studies and saying they should borrow more from the sciences. I partially agree, but I don't really have time for the long discussion this article inspires in me, so I will just point to it and mention that I certain agree that egos and politics have gotten in the way of literary study. Though the very strange thing about the novels I am currently writing on is that I believe the way in which critique has been put into the service of politics in recent years has actually sometimes impeded understanding what novels have to say about politics in the arguments over whether or not they said the right or wrong things. Is Tristram Shandy too funny and well-received in its time to have real political and epistemological implications? I think not.

While I'm on the subject--you might be a grad student if...

…you are startled to meet people who neither need nor want to read.
…you have ever brought a scholarly article to a bar.
…you rate coffee shops by the availability of outlets for your laptop.
…everything reminds you of something in your discipline.
…you have ever discussed academic matters at a sporting event.
My life has become a sad caricature at this point.

Hat tip: 3QD.

No comments: